Frequently Asked Questions
Mini Golden Questions
Are Cream or White-Colored Golden Retrievers Healthier Than Darker Goldens?
- The color of the coat has nothing to do with a dog's health. But ancestry could possibly have an effect on health.
- There is at least a little evidence that, on average, English bloodlines are healthier.
- A 1998 study found that 61.8 percent of American goldens died from cancers, such as hemangiosarcoma, lymphosarcoma, mast-cell tumors, and osteosarcoma, whereas a 2004 British Kennel Club study found that only 38.8 percent of goldens from English bloodlines were affected by cancer.
- Studies also found that goldens from English bloodlines had an average lifespan of 12 years and 3 months whereas American goldens lived for an average of 10 years and 8 months.
- This data does not necessarily mean that an English retriever is immune from cancer and will die only at a ripe old age.
- There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of English retrievers dying from cancer and living shorter lives than expected.
- The health of your dog will depend on good breeding lines not on whether it is English or American, cream-colored or toffee-colored.
- The secret to health and longevity is ultimately a combination of nature and nurture—good genes plus optimal care by responsible owners.
Getting my Puppy
What is the earliest date my puppy can come home?
If you choose to have your puppy shipped home, the earliest date your pup can travel is at 8 weeks old. If you come to our Kennels and pick up your new puppy, you can come at 7 weeks old.
What if the 8-week date doesn't work for me to recieve the puppy?
If you cannot recieve your puppy on the 8-week mark just let me know and we can work out an alternative ship or pickup date. Due to limited space for older puppies we do charge $20 per day for boarding after your puppy is 8-weeks-old.
Do you microchip the pups before they leave Taylormade Kennels?
I don’t recommend microchipping this young only because they are so little and it is a BIG needle! As they grow the microchip can actually migrate so it may not be in the right spot. Pinkerton’s microchip cannot be found, the vet thinks it migrated, but they scanned her entire body for it. I got her chipped when she was 6 months-old, now I will have to get her re-microchipped. I know some breeders do microchip their young puppies so if you would like me to talk to my vet about doing it before your puppy comes home I totally can!
Preparing for Your Puppy at Home
How tall should the gate/play pen be (when he gets to full size)?
For the gate or pen, these dogs can jump! I am talking flying, they are the type that can shoot through the air after a frisbee! I recommend a wire crate and you can get a large one, but you'll want something with a top. You could get a little play yard pen for when he is little and potty training. He won't be able to jump high until he is bigger.
What kind of crate should I get and which size?
You can use the crate your puppy comes home in but he will quickly out grow it so I recommend a medium/large wire crate you can use forever as his pen.
Should I get a harness for my puppy? Which size harness to start? Which size harness when full grown?
Get a size small adjustable harness to wear for the first few months. Then as soon as he grows out of that you can have him fitted for a more permanent one.
When do I need to vaccinate my puppy next?
When the puppies go home there are no shot requirements until they are 12-weeks-old then they have to have their rabies vaccine. Your puppy will arrive with all required vaccinations up to 8 weeks old. When you go to your vet visit within 2 days of the puppy coming home, they will inform you on the next steps for vaccinations. For more information, here is a link to Dr. Jean Dodds protocols.
How long should I wait before allowing my puppy to be around other dogs?
I would wait until a least 4 months old to allow his immunity to develop before getting him around other dogs. Avoid the dog park or gas stations where sick animals may have left infected feces.
Feeding Your Puppy
How much dog food should I expect to go through? What is the feeding schedule for the puppy?
Follow the instructions on the Life's Abundance food bag. Your puppy will be eating about 1 - 1 1/3 cups per day in the beginning and will increase as your puppy grows. Start with 3 times per day until he is about 6 months old then 2 times per day. Treats can be given throughout the day for good behavior.
What kind of treats do you like to use?
I use cooked chicken, all of the Life's Abundance treats lifesabundance.com/taylormade, make sure its made in the USA